Tuesday, July 11, 2006















Used Shoes

I first learned to ride when I was six. My horse was a Quarter horse named Champ. He was the color of a shiny, new copper penny. Champ and I went on trail rides, appeared in local parades and once participated in the opening ceremonies of a rodeo. For the most part, Champ and I traveled around the rural area where I grew up. My friends and I rode all over the place. We rode because it was fun.

All good things come to an end. I left Champ behind when I went to college. I rode occasionally when I came home, but, for the most part, Champ was retired.

Fourteen years later, I moved home to Arkansas. Champ had long passed on to heavenly pastures. After years of living in either dorms or apartments, I had three goals: 1. buy a house with some land; 2. buy a horse; 3. buy a piano.

The horse I purchased was an Arabian. He was older ( because I was older!), but he still loved to run. His name was Jhakkar. view here He held his head high and ran with a high-flung tail. Being on his back was like riding the wind. It was exhilarating!!!

Jhakkar was white and his coat glistened in the moonlight. Watching him move around the pasture after dark was like watching a ghostly apparition floating in and out of view.

Jhakkar has since joined Champ up in those heavenly pastures. I don't know if I will get another horse, but I will always remember the great rides I had with Champ and Jhakkar.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tiggerlane said...

And yet, you leave your audience in great suspense - giving no clue to whether or not you accomplished your other two goals.

I WON'T TELL!

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home