Monday, July 24, 2006














Black-eyed Susan rudbeckia species

These lovely "ladies" produce masses of blooms from midsummer till frost. The plants are rugged and easy to grow. They make excellent cut flowers for bouquets and also dry easily while retaining their bright color. They like full sun and will tolerate almost any soil type. I love combining them with purple coneflowers and red bee balm (monarda).

"Forget what you've heard about green thumbs: A gardener's greatest asset is a fertile imagination. How else could we envision Eden in a single seed or Paradise in a clay pot?" Author unknown, but greatly appreciated

2 Comments:

Blogger Angelina said...

Since you spent some time on my site I wanted to come see yours. I've got to say I love the black eyed susan picture! I have a real soft spot for them. I always have some in my garden, though this year we moved to a new house and the one black eyed susan I planted has been struggling along. There is a bud on it that seems very reluctant to open. Anyway, I'll plant more next year. I think a garden needs that kind of bright sturdy cheer.

3:58 AM  
Blogger SongBird said...

Absolutely! Black-eyed susans are a very cheerful flower. Have you ever tried nasturtiums? They are always a spot of cheer, too. I have pictures on my site if you are interested.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home