Monday, September 04, 2006

I Wanted A Pet Monkey

This handsome man is HDT, my "little" brother. When Mom was pregnant, people would ask me if I wanted a baby sister or a baby brother. I would tell them that what I really wanted was a pet monkey. I was extremely disappointed in January of 1964 when my parents brought home a tiny, red-headed baby brother. A five year old's yearning for a pet monkey is not something that should be taken lightly. HDT just wasn't what I wanted. Plus he took so much of the attention that I had monopolized for 5 years as an only child. Eventually, I decided HDT was cute, cuddly and sort of like a pet monkey in some respects. So I decided it was okay for us to keep him.

My brother will be 43 in January. He is the Assistant Athletic Director/Sports Information Director at a university in south Arkansas. He has an undergraduate degree in Physical Education and a Master's Degree in Kinesiology. He is single. He owns a home, an SUV and, all in all, turned out pretty well. He is my good friend as well as my brother and he has stuck around a lot longer than any pet monkey would have. I am proud of his accomplishments and I love him.

Today HDT had out-patient surgery to repair a ruptured bicept tendon in his right shoulder. I talked to him last night and he explained the injury and how it would be repaired by the surgeon. A lot of his detailed explanation sailed right over my music teacher head so I had to do some research on line to really understand what was going on with him. HDT's biggest concerns were that he wouldn't be able to lift weights for 3 months and that he might not be able to iron his clothes.

Let me digress for a moment.....my brother is addicted to ironing. He is handsome, in good shape and wears his clothing like a male model. The only time I have ever seen him slightly mussed and wrinkled is when he gets up in the morning. I think he irons EVERYTHING he wears. I can iron a pair of pants and they still look like I just pulled them out of a laundry bag. HDT's clothes are perfectly pressed and creased ALWAYS.

So, I called him just a few minutes ago to see how he was feeling. He is fine. The surgery went well. No damage to the rotator cuff. He isn't feeling much pain. The right arm in a sling is sort of bothersome. His friends brought over some food for tonight. He should be relaxing and recuperating, right? But what was he doing? You guessed it. He was trying to iron with his left hand.

10 Comments:

Blogger Tiggerlane said...

SO glad to hear that HDT is okay!! And I give him major props for ironing with his left hand. I would expect nothing less!!

Thanks for the update - I tried to call you earlier to check, but alas, you were dialing up, I suppose.

So much hotter than a pet monkey. Oh...wait...does he read your blog?

8:22 PM  
Blogger M J said...

Single AND he irons. I may have to get you to introduce me...

9:29 PM  
Blogger Grim Reality Girl said...

Glad he is okay! Try to talk him into wearing clother fresh from the dryer -- if you take them out right away many things do not have wrinkles. Also, the "Downey Wrinkle Relaser" works great. Just don't hope for creases.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

OK, so I've already contacted several of my single friends to check out your post today...a guy who is that good-looking AND irons AND lifts weights...WOW !

9:44 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

He should get one of those traveling steamers..
untill he is well.

( I cured the hubby of ironing, well he sneaks it out on occasion - I just say when you finish your shower turn it on HOT HOT - turn it off, hang your clothes. If the wrinkles don't come out there aren't supposed to)

11:52 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

Um, Lands End makes wrinkle-free pants. Yup - take 'em straight out of the dryer and virtually wrinkle-free. There is no such thing as ironing at my house.

Unless your brother actually LIKES to iron. Maybe it is a stress reliever?

Glad to hear his surgery went good! That is scary in itself!

11:53 PM  
Blogger willowtree said...

Glad to hear things seem to be OK. Now you just need to get him to see a shrink about that ironing problem of his.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Silly Hily said...

So glad to hear that everything with the surgery turned out okay.
How on earth is it that no one has seemed to snatch him up yet!?

4:27 PM  
Blogger Susan in va said...

Okay, cute, smart, he irons, and he's single? What's wrong with this picture? He sounds like the man I married. My DH was 30 when I met him and it took me a year to quit microanalyzing him. I was sure something must be wrong with him since no one had snatched him up! Stupid girls :)

btw, my brother (5 years my senior) wanted a pony. I don't know if he ever got over it ;)

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Frances said...

Since you're a musician, might there be a chance that you and your brother share some likes and dislikes for overhead music or music in general?

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home