Tuesday, July 25, 2006

There's No Place Like Home





















This is the road that leads to my home. For approximately one half mile, stately trees line both sides of the road. Their limbs stretch over the country lane forming a canopy. At the end of the leafy tunnel lies the bridge. Another half mile beyond the river is my home.

I love driving and walking on this stretch of country road. I love how the trees change with the seasons. Autumn winds send leaves of all colors scurrying across the road. Squirrels scamper to and fro making last minute additions to their hoard of food for the winter. Eventually the leaves are gone. The canopy is a profusion of bare limbs sometimes dusted with snow. The winter moon gleams through the skeletal trees. Spring brings green. A banquet of varying shades as new leaves burst from the buds. Birds sing as they busily search for nest materials. The canopy is at its peak as summer arrives. Sunlight dapples the road. The leaves rustle and whisper in warm summer breezes.

There are many beautiful places in this world that we live in. I have lived in four different states and have traveled in many more. And I have a long list of places I still want to see. But no matter where I go and no matter what I see, this road will always be one of the most beautiful sights of all. When I look down this road under the canopy of trees, I know I am one mile from my home. And, we all should agree, there truly is no place like home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home