Friday, March 31, 2006




The Bridge

I live in the country. Not a tame suburban country with manicured lawns, but not quite the great untamed wilderness either. One half mile before the traveler reaches my home lies The Bridge. I drive over the bridge every day. I walk across the bridge. My dogs walk across the bridge. People ride their horses across the bridge. My 80 year old neighbor walks and drives across the bridge. At various times I have encountered skunks, foxes, raccoons and even cats crossing the bridge. However, my dearest friend, when invited to my house, murmurs, "Oh, I would love to, but......The Bridge....."

Okay, I admit the bridge is old. It creaks, rattles and vibrates. I admit the bridge is high. I don't know how high, but it is a far piece above the river. But the bridge is also beautiful. It is a part of the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. The AHPP describes it as a "two-span, Pratt steel pony truss bridge built in the early 1900's." The designer of this particular bridge is unknown.

I can't imagine life in the country without The Bridge. With some occasional repairs and improvements, it continues to stand throughout winter storms and spring floods. And as long as it stands, I will continue to cross it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tiggerlane said...

Oh...but how you forgot to mention the water UNDER the bridge. The rapidly (at times) flowing water, that could easily carry a motor vehicle many miles before smashing it against unknown banks in the wilderness. Or how about the SOUNDS of the bridge as one crosses? Granted, Jasper may not make much of a creak - but a car full of people, and that bridge MOVES and makes NOISES that say, "Watch out...you may be my next victim!"

9:43 PM  
Blogger SongBird said...

Okay, flood waters are the exception, not the rule. Under normal circumstances if your car, for some reason, made it through the iron railings and fell into the river, you could just open the car door and get out since the water is not very deep. I can walk across the river on either side of the bridge and the water doesn't come much past my knees. I guess the big rocks could do some damage though......

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home