Saturday, June 17, 2006



Coneflower
Echinacea purpurea


Purple coneflower is a very reliable and easy to grow perennial. It produces many beautiful flowers with little care. Stems from 3 to 4 feet tall produce daisy-like flowers all summer and into the fall. The flowers have drooping purple petals surrounding a raised central cone. Coneflowers like full sun to light shade and well-drained soil.

Purple coneflower is a highly regarded and very popular medicinal herb used by American Indians for centuries for all types of ills. Compounds in the roots have been proven to boost the immune system.

I have enjoyed purple coneflowers in my gardens for years. Butterflies love them as do bees. The flowers dry well retaining their color for wreaths and dried arrangements. They also make a lovely "live" bouquet.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pioneer Woman said...

Echinacea are my favorite. I have both purple and white ones in my garden. Love your photos!!!

10:32 PM  
Blogger SongBird said...

Thanks, Ree! Right back at ya!

10:51 PM  
Blogger Tiggerlane said...

Janet wants to rape your garden again --- she was asking about your coneflowers the other day.

(Dang - why does everything I write sound nasty?)

11:26 AM  
Blogger SongBird said...

No comment on the nasty subject!! I will gladly give Janet some more coneflowers, but this isn't a good time of year to do it. My plants are all full-grown and blooming. It would be better to wait until this fall or next spring. Can she wait that long?!!

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home