Saturday, September 09, 2006

Roanoke, Virginia

I began my career with "Candyland" in Virginia Beach, Virginia. From there I was transferred to Salisbury, Maryland, then I moved to Frederick, Maryland, and worked in Gaithersburg, Maryland. I ended my "Candyland" career in Roanoke, Virginia. I really loved Roanoke and plan to go back for a visit one of these days. When I was there in 1988-1990, it was a very nice place to live and I'm sure it still is.


A view from the Blueridge Parkway which is in very close proximity to Roanoke.




A polo match I attended near Roanoke. This picture brings memories of such a fun day. A friend and I picnicked on gourmet carry out while we watched the match. Polo hasn't made it to Arkansas in a big way, but we do have thoroughbred racing at Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs.




This picture was taken along the road that led to the riding stables I frequented while living in Roanoke. There was also an apple orchard and cider mill along this road and a wonderful fresh produce stand.



Another shot taken from the Blueridge Parkway. It was a hazy day, but still a fairly nice picture.



Susan in VA
I hope it is still this beautiful in the Roanoke area!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

I am amazed at how beautiful our country still is


(I need to tell you a polo pony joke sometime)

12:28 AM  
Blogger willowtree said...

Hmmm, 'Roanoake' is familiar for some reason. Is it famous for something? Possibly the Civil War?

I agree with Pamela, beautiful country.

12:58 AM  
Blogger SongBird said...

WT--Perhaps you are thinking of Roanoke Colony on Roanoke Island off the coast of North Carolina. It was the first English settlement in the New World. Within three years, all the settlers (around 100 men, women and children) had disappeared without a trace from the colony. Among the missing was baby Virginia Dare. Roanoke Colony became known as the Lost Colony.

12:47 PM  
Blogger willowtree said...

Ah yes! Thanks SB

6:14 PM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

Another place on my List of Places to Visit. We live in an amazing country.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Susan in va said...

It still is that beautiful! I have also attended polo matches there with my kids - they love it! I'll have to dig up some old photos and post them when I get a chance.

You really should return for a visit - they've added some fabulous restaurants since '90. My husband and I make the hour long trek about once a year and try a new restaurant each time!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Tiggerlane said...

Yes...You really should visit!! How about March 2007?

:-)

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home