Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The World's Greatest Compliment

I think it was Mark Twain who said he could live on one compliment for a month. I so totally agree with that statement. I really thrive on praise. Compliments, positive feedback, praise, a pat on the back.....these are the types of incentives that really spur me to perform. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy getting a raise as much as the next person. But, when I think back on all the job evaluations I have been subjected to over the years, what really sticks in my mind is not the dollar amount of the increase I received. I remember the words of praise and the absolute joy I felt from being appreciated. The acknowledgment of my skills, talents, hard work, loyalty and perseverance meant so much to me. I have had my share of insincere flattery, too. That simply doesn't do the trick, but honest and sincere praise makes my heart sing!

I made a major career change in my early 30's. I dropped out of the corporate world and became a teacher. Well, one doesn't actually become a teacher. Teaching is a constantly evolving vocation. I will still be growing, improving and learning in my chosen vocation for as long as I teach. Gone are the days of corporate evaluations and fat raises. What I have now is so much better! My students are my praise. They are the acknowledgment of all that I do. They are the reflection of my skills, talents, hard work, loyalty and perseverance. Their voices uplift me in ways that no amount of money could ever accomplish. I do still appreciate the positive feedback and the pats on the back and the yearly addition to my salary, but "my kids" are really what it's all about.

Now....before I go polish my trophies, I want to share a poem I wrote for my choir kids last spring.

I can't imagine a life without music
It fills my heart and soul.
It's a constant companion, a voice within
when the world seems bitter and cold.
And you, my dear students, are my greatest song
Your lives are a sweet melody.
And no matter how old or how far you've gone
You are still the music inside of me.
Your smiles are the harmony, strong and true
Your voices the notes of my life.
Why seek fame or great wealth when I know what I do
Is perfectly, perfectly right?
And you, my dear students, are my greatest song
Your lives are a sweet melody.
And no matter how old or how far you've gone
You are still the music inside of me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Country needs more teachers that feel that way.

I was disappointed in many of the teachers my kids had in school.....especially high school.

You will be happy to know that when my youngest graduated from 12th grade I sent a very special letter of thanks to one teacher. She encouraged my daughter and made her believe in herself (when daughter wouldn't listen to mom and dad).

I never thought that a thank you note was enough. Perhaps she was like you - and it was sufficient.

1:42 AM  
Blogger Tiggerlane said...

Great poem --- is this the one you read at the concert??

And another school year, set to begin. You'll be cursing all of us parents, tho, soon enough!~

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home