Thursday, February 08, 2007


Snow Day


The alarm went off before daylight. I turned the radio on just in time to hear the happy news, "No school today!" I snuggled back down beneath the blankets for another two hours of sleep. Later, when I got up, I looked out my bathroom window and this is what I saw. I really think it is a prettier view than the one from my front door!


The garden is beautiful in a blanket of snow. Mr. and Mrs. Chickadee build a nest every spring in this little house in the corner of my garden.


The view from the Chickadee's front door. Coneflower heads stay in my garden until spring to provide winter food for the birds. I bought the porch rails in the background at an auction. They provide stability for the flowers that grow around them in the spring.



The view from my bedroom window is beautiful in any season. The spirea on the left and the forsythia on the right erupt in fountains of white and yellow fowers in the spring. On this snowy day, their bare branches are decorated with snow frosting.







The dogs and I walked through a cathedral of trees to our nearest neighbor's house for an afternoon visit. Our neighbor is 81 and doesn't even attempt to get out in snowy weather. We had to make sure that she was cozy and warm.





Late in the afternoon all that remained were snow shadows and the promise of spring daffodils soon to come.









Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

brrrr....the frosty photo's gave me the shivers (:

do the chicadees really nest there? I can't get them to nest in my yard. I also leave the coneflowers up and my other plants that go to seed for their food and also places for them to hide. I love the little birds.

We have sparrows that nest in our bird house.

what a good neighbor you are ... to people and to birds

10:37 PM  
Blogger Tiggerlane said...

Alright, hand over the camera. You GOT a camera?

I LOVE the photo with Cherokee!! LOVE IT!

You suck, though. Since school was closed, and I only have ONE kid, guess who had to keep her office open? Didn't get to really sleep in either day. Had to work so furiously both days, didn't even get photos of the snow before it melted.

Awesome photos.

10:39 PM  
Blogger The very nice man said...

Thanks for the lovely pictures! I look forward to many more pictures on future posts.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Shauna said...

Such a gorgeous view! ! ! Maybe one of these days Birddog and I will be able to look out at trees and such instead of other houses. . . :)

8:56 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Wow...I'm in awe...I love the picture with your dog in it...love it...he (or she?) looks like a wolf out in the wilderness... and I'm going to make a request ahead of time...I would love to see pictures of the spirea and forsythia in full bloom in the spring!!

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love snow days...now, but not in June when it's sunny and I'm still trying to educate children who don't want to be there!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Peg said...

Pretty shots!

I love the tiny white flowers on the spireas...oh spring--where art thou?

7:40 PM  
Blogger Tonya said...

gorgeous pics!! Love them..

5:14 PM  
Blogger Angelina said...

I really enjoyed these pictures. Snow is soooo pretty and wonderful to walk in.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home