Friday, February 02, 2007

Time For the Motherhood Talk


Meet Jasper, my miniature Dachshund, with one of his favorite toys when he was a year old. Isn't he a cutie?!! He will be five years old in June.

About six months ago I wrote this happy little post about my well-behaved pup. I was so pleased with the compliments he received. I was beaming with doggie parent pride! Tiggerlane , however, was quick to chastise me with the following comment.

"Okay, I'll declare you officially a 'mother' when you hold Jasper lovingly to your chest, all the while whispering in a soothing manner, 'There, there....it's okay,' --while he's throwing up in your hair. THEN we'll talk motherhood!! (insert evil laugh here.)"



Meet Jasper sleeping on my niece's tummy. It's just a Jasper thing. He loves to sack out while reclining on a person he loves. He snores. Loudly. Notice he sometimes sleeps with his teeth showing.

So, last Wednesday night I was packing for an overnight trip on Thursday to all state choir auditions. It had snowed earlier in the evening, just a light dusting on the ground and the temperature was in the teens. I went to bed around 11 P.M. Jasper was fidgety. He acted like he couldn't get comfortable, but he finally curled up by my feet while I was reading. After thirty minutes or so, I put my book down and turned off the light. I was just drifting off to sleep when Jasper started climbing on my legs to get up to his favorite sleeping spot on my tummy. Imagine my surprise when I felt something unnaturally warm and wet soaking through my pajamas. Yep, Jasper puked. He puked big time. All the way from my knees to my belly.

Now, believe it or not, I did pick Jasper up and hold him lovingly to my chest while I scrambled in my vomit soaked pajamas to the bathroom. He was whimpering as I laid him on the rug. His little tummy was distended and hard to the touch. Poor little pup. I soaked a washcloth in warm water and cleaned Jasper up. Then I got out of my soiled pj's, took a quick shower, put on clean pj's, removed all the bed linens, put clean sheets on the bed and threw all the pukey stuff in the washer. It was 12:45AM when I got back in bed. Then the real fun began.

Jasper just couldn't stay in one spot. His tummy hurt too bad. He would go to the door wanting outside so I would let him out then in five minutes or sometimes less, he would want back in. I just couldn't see making him stay outside because it was so cold and he was sick. But I knew he was trying to get rid of his tummy ache so I ended up on the couch where I would be near the door. I began worrying. If Jasper was still sick when it was time for me to go to school, what would I do with him? What was I going to do about my overnight trip? I couldn't leave Jasper at the kennel if he was still sick. All these thoughts and worries crowded my mind as I listened to Jasper whimper and whine and as I let him out and in....out and in.

I ended up with maybe two hours of uninterrupted sleep. Maybe. I was so relieved when I turned on the radio around 5:45 A.M. and heard that we weren't having school on Thursday because of icy road conditions. Several hours later I learned that all state choir auditions had been postponed due to the weather. In the meantime, Jasper got over his tummy ache.

We both took long naps and it snowed more on Thursday so we didn't have school today either.

Now this whole post may seem silly to some of you, but I will bet that those of you with human children have spent nights just like I described. I can't have children so I tend to lavish my maternal instincts and love on my animal babies. I know it isn't the same, but, still....Tigger, I think I'm ready for that motherhood talk you mentioned!


Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

so happy to hear it was just an overnight bug.

warm puke on your pj's.
I know how it feels on my socks when I step it int. ick.

1:47 AM  
Blogger The very nice man said...

Very funny! Love those pictures! We are all dog (or cat) mad!! Heehee!

5:07 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

He is so cute! I don't have kids either, but my kitty is my baby...and my old dog that lived to 15 was my baby...while it probably isn't the same as a human child, well, I'll take it!

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's cute - but not the puke part. Welcome "officially" to motherhood. hee hee

12:16 PM  
Blogger Leann said...

poor little guy.he is so cute.I have had nights like that with kids dogs cats.and a hubby.its just one of those things.glad the little one is better,and you both had some well needed sleep.God bless.

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww Jasper is a sweetie! Our pups are the same age. Kobe will be 5 in late may.

I am going to get him one of those awful cakes made for dogs. It has beef icing. YUCK!

But he loves it... yuckyuck!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Tonya said...

awww what a sweetie! So glad he is feeling better!!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

Wow, we've had some nights like that with our dog too. I often think having a dog is a lot like having a kid. And i have both.

Jasper is so cute!

I'm so glad you both got to rest together the next day.

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that does sound just like motherhood. But I plan to reimburse my kids for those nights when I'm old, LOL.

10:54 PM  
Blogger LeftCoastOnlooker said...

oh, poor Jasper. That cannot be fun. At least when we're sick we get to be cranky & verbal.
Glad he's feeling better & you got some rest!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Tiggerlane said...

Okay...I guess I'll let you into the Motherhood Clan. You'll love our secret meetings and bonfires and bloodlettings!

Seriously - glad the little bugger is okay! Let me know when he hosts his first sleepover, so I can bring Poo Woo.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Shauna said...

LOL Tiggerlane! ! ! The sleep over will really break you in Songbird! ! !:)

8:56 AM  
Blogger Susan in va said...

Congratulations.....MOM!

What a little cutie-pie!

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. YUCK! No vomit is good vomit....kid or dog.

10:33 AM  
Blogger willowtree said...

This post didn't sound silly to me at all. Nothing worse than seeing a companion animal (the new PC term for pet) in distress.

Boy, that is one shiny coat he's got.

Hey my dogs a both 5 too.

5:18 PM  
Blogger its_amyia1977 said...

Aww.... poor little puppy!! Jasper is very fortunate to have a Mommy like you!! I can't say I have ever had my cat puke on me but I guess there is always room for a first! LOL...
Songbird, your comment about me not getting that job was very very sweet!!! You have no idea how much my blog friends comfort me at times of discouragement like that. Thank you soo much!

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home