Sunday, November 19, 2006


It occurred to me this morning as I was stuffing myself into a pair of control top pantyhose, that I no longer wear undergarments. I wear body armour. It seems all my undergarments are made of industrial strength elastic layers and reinforced with titanium. My underwear is designed to lift, shape, control, protect, reduce and otherwise disguise the truth about my body.

What happened to all the silky, satiny, lacey items I used to pull from my lingerie drawer? All of my beautiful, sexy undergarments have slowly disappeared over the last 10-12 years. I once owned a lavender camisole that tied up the front with 20 tiny satin ribbons. Now I am excited by extra padding on the shoulder straps and by how good my legs feel if I wear support hose when I know I am going to be on my feet all day.

And, yes, I know that I could have left off a few cheeseburgers, dishes of ice cream and second helpings of coconut cream pie, but, really I am thankful for every extra pound and every sign that my body is growing older. I am thankful at the same time that I am trying to lose those extra pounds and while I am working to look as young as I feel. I am thankful because those extra pounds mean that I have more than enough to eat. I am thankful because I have the opportunity as a woman to be financially independent and to make decisions for myself. I am thankful to be alive. I am thankful that I do not have to live in fear.

So, while I may not be particularly happy with the contents of my lingerie drawer, I can still find many reasons to be thankful for those very contents. May you also find an abundance of reasons to be thankful during this holiday week.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger gawilli said...

What a great way at looking at life. Thanks for the good thoughts. You are right; there is an abundance of things for which Willi and I are thankful. Have a nice Thanksgiving, SongBird!

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

big grin.... I still have those things tucked away in a galaxy far far away...

and then I just wear my darth vadar stuff

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) - - -Love the post and now I have a new perspective about looking like I do. . .Thanks! ! !

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made my day by making me look at myself through different eyes. I love your attitude!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Devon said...

Your gratitude makes you beautiful and inspires me to acknowledge all that I have to be grateful for! Thanks for the lovely post!

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe...I still have my "skinny" clothes too!!
Happy Thanksgiving to you.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Tiggerlane said...

A much-needed read - there is much to be thankful for!

I still wish I could wear some of the stuff on those skimpy Victoria's Secret models - but then, 'tis better to be happy than starving!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

Thanks for the uplifting way to look at my ugly underwear!!!

I will be thankful for those extra pounds.

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this post relates closely to mine from yesterday. Fat Freedom! You should take a look.

I want a body suit that goes from heck to heels.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how you worded that blog...we should all find things to be thankful for in life..even all of our cleavage in the wrong places! LOL.. So does that mean I should forget about the diet for one day?? LOL...

Have a great Thanksgiving!!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Kila said...

OK, I'll be thankful that I've been blessed with the opportunity to become overweight. You're right, better too heavy, with food in the house, than starving and watching my children starve. That would certainly be worse than being fat.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That cartoon was hilarious. I showed my mother-in-law up at True North and she got a good laugh out of it. Hope you are having a good break!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Angelina said...

Amen! And what I really want to know is how come I didn't have silky lingerie while I was young and thin? I've worn the most underthings my whole life.

Still, I share your thankfulness!

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always seem to do a great job of being thankful - what a fantastic quality to have. I wish I had that same outlook naturally - I just have to consciously force myself when I can remember :)

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home