Friday, December 22, 2006

I've been thinking a lot about the Christmas question and answers I've seen in so many posts. One particular question has been stuck in my mind: Your favorite Christmas gift? There are so many gifts to choose from. I thought of the antique rocking chair, the pink doll cradle and the china tea set. I remembered countless dolls. I named them all. I dressed and undressed them, combed their hair, hugged them before going to sleep, spent hours playing with them. The farm set was a definite favorite. My first real cat, Sunshine, and later as a teenager, another cat named Kitty Blue. The Lane cedar chest, the birthstone ring, sweaters, skirts, a pair of white majorette boots with tassles. The list goes on and on because Christmas with my family has always been such a wonderful time of giving and receiving.

But to narrow the list to my very favorite Christmas gift seemed almost impossible until late one night it occurred to me that my absolute favorite gift, the most precious gift of all was years. The 19 years I had with my Grandpa T., the 29 years I had with my Grandma W., the 30 years I had with my Grandma T., the 36 years I shared Christmas with Grandpa W. and the 42 years I shared Christmas with my dad. Some of these years were spent physically far apart, but never were they not shared.

The sad thing about the gift of years is that sometimes the realization of how awesomely precious that gift is only comes when the gift is no longer received. The marvelous, happy thing about the gift of years is that you had all that time with people you loved in the first place. And all the experiences of those years are stored in the heart and soul.

So in this special season, I am so thankful for the gift of years that I am still receiving from those I hold dear and I am also thankful that I can give the gift of another year to those I love. I am thankful for the memories of gifts of the past and I look forward to the gifts of the future. Cherish each moment with those you love. The years are the true treasures of giving.

"The most vivid memories of Christmases past are usually not of gifts given or received, but of the spirit of love....the cherished little habits of the home....Christmas, my child, is love in action.....When you love someone, you give to them, as God gives to us. The greatest gift He ever gave was the person of His Son."

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Tonya said...

Wow what an amazing post and so incredibly well written. You really touched deep down emotions in me and I know that sounds cheesy but really.. I think I have now found the Christmas spirit I was looking for and it was here, on your blog that it came to me reading your post :)

Thanks Songbird!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Betty said...

Beautiful post. I wish everyone would read it and feel the love emanating from it.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Devon said...

I really enjoyed your lovely post today. My stepsister lost her mom tragically this week and it occured to me that I have never lost someone really close to me.

I have been blessed for my 41 years and am so grateful for all of my family. Thank you for your eloquent reminder of our greatest gifts!

Merry Christmas!

6:49 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

You are right about the gift of years and the importance of making the best of the time we have. Merry Christmas, Songbird!

9:27 PM  
Blogger Emma in Canada said...

Oh, Tonya was right. That was the most amazing post. Beautifully written and so very true.

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post - and a truly great reminder of what the greatest gift of all is.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!!!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I'm here with Karmyn and Amanda
and Curlymop, jammin and buttercup.

Thats the gift!

12:28 PM  
Blogger willowtree said...

We hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas and Healthy New Year.

From WT, MDW and the furries.

(Sorry it's not personalised, but if I wrote individual greetings to everyone I'd miss out on Christmas Lunch, and you know I'm not going to let that happen.)pokhavq

3:38 PM  
Blogger Susan in va said...

What a beautiful post, Songbird! And so true!

Merry Christmas!!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

I really love your old pictures. I wish I had half as many great photos!

And I agree with everything you said.

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Songbird,
I found your blog from a link on tiggerlane's. I have spent most of my afternoon reading all the stories that you have posted and just wanted to take this moment to let you know that I enjoyed all of them and enjoyed getting the chance to see more of who you are as a " person " and not just the kids " choir teacher ". Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. BTW, loved what you wrote about Matthew!! He is a Hunk!

2:51 PM  
Blogger LeftCoastOnlooker said...

What a beautiful reminder that people are the greatest treasures in our lives.
I really love the pictures you post.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Very true. Have a happy and healthy New Year.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home