Monday, January 01, 2007

A New Year, A New Book
I began the New Year by finishing a really great book, "Dead Watch" by John Sandford. I literally couldn't put it down. It is a political thriller set primarily in Washington D.C. and Virginia. I don't want to tell you too much about the story in case you decide to read the book, but it does involve the kidnapping of a former Senator. The main character is a man named Jacob Winter who specializes in what he calls forensic bureaucracy. Winter is an Army Intelligence veteran and when something goes wrong, he probes and pries until he finds out what really happened. The Democratic White House is his main client and Winter is asked to locate the missing former Senator. There is quite a bit of violence in this book and one rather gruesome murder. So if you don't like thrillers with dead bodies, then this book isn't for you!

Jacob Winter is a new character in John Sandford's writing. Sandford has written sixteen books in the Prey series, so called because each book has 'Prey' in the title. The main character in the Prey books is Lucas Davenport, a cop (and so much more) in Minneapolis. I own all of the Prey series. They are all good thrillers, too, and, just to let you know, they all contain violence.

John Sandford is actually a pseudonym for John R. Camp. Camp was awarded a Pulitzer prize in 1986 for a series of newspaper articles titled "Life on the Land: An American Farm Family". The series was written during the mid west farm crisis. You can find out more about Sandford/Camp here.
Tomorrow is my last day of Christmas vacation so I have to put away good books and get my lesson plans prepared for the second semester of the school year. I had a great break and I'm ready to get my choirs shaped up for the next flurry of performances!

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger LeftCoastOnlooker said...

A grace-filled new year to you!
Enjoy winding up the school year with music!
I've got a couple more days, now that I'm well, to get those lesson plans in shape. It's going to take a lot of prayer - maybe I'll focus on the first week, first!

1:29 AM  
Blogger its_amyia1977 said...

Oh wow..you teach choir! LOL, I was in choir and show choir in high school! I still carry those lessons I learned about stance and performance from over ten years ago! LOL.... maybe you could record your students singing some of their best songs someday?

Enjoy your new year Songbird!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

once I get into a book I'm hooked and the rest of the world has to stop.

the hubby says he has to physically shake my arm to get my attention.

I bet you are the same way

9:37 AM  
Blogger Tonya said...

Sounds like an interesting book.. will have to check it out once I finish the 5 or 6 I have yet to read on my shelf..lol

I hope you had a wonderful new year!!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Shauna said...

LOL - ditto to Pamela! I need to sit down with a good book - it's been a while. . .

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the book review. I have read the "Prey" series, and

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Betty here, again. I'm using my son's laptop and can't seem to get the hang of it. All I was trying to say was I'm going to try some more of Sandford's books, thanks to you.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a book to put on my "List of things to read".

I like your new avatar....we don't have Cardinal's here in the NW. bummer.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Tiggerlane said...

Dang - much like others, I have to be careful about starting a new book, b/c I will become immersed and not resurface.

But it sounds intriguing!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Susan in va said...

Summer break will be here before you know it!! WOO HOO!! I can't wait!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Susan in va said...

I love your new avatar, btw!

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really want to get back to reading again. These pictures books are getting pretty boring.
When I was teaching, I remember the last day of freedom before going back to school after an extended holiday. Just a bittersweet feeling. Hope you have a wonderful semester singing.
BTW: I left a comment on your last post, but GlobberBooger ate it.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back to school, back to school. I start school on the 8th. It will eat up my free time but I will love every minute of it.

8:29 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Hope your first day back was outstanding! Ours is next Monday, although mine in the Business Office was today. Thanks for the book review!

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home