Sunday, February 11, 2007


Why I Love Where I Live

I love where I live because this is where my story began. This county in Arkansas has been home to my family for over one hundred years. This is my home. This is my history. This is my heritage.

My part of Arkansas has hills, mountains, rivers and lakes. This land has a visceral pull that reaches to the very core of my soul. It strengthens. It sustains. In this land, I find peace.

I love the feel and smell of spring in the Arkansas air.......


I love the lush greenness of an Arkansas summer.....





The blaze of autumn-dressed trees and the frosty breath of an Arkansas winter.



I love where I live because I belong. I know my neighbors. We share past, present and future. We are a community. We are self-sufficient yet we share deep concern for each other. There is security. There is safety.





I've lived in five different states in large metropolitan areas that have populations of more than the entire county where I currently reside. Each place had its own beauty and its own good people. But the urban landscape no longer holds much appeal for me.


I am Southern born and bred. I was raised on God, greens and gracious living. I love where I live because I can spend an entire day sitting on a porch, sipping iced tea and visiting. And that day is considered an accomplishment of great merit rather than a waste.




Thank ya'll for comin' by. I surely enjoyed our visit. Come back soon and in the meantime, head on over to Marnie's place to find out why some other folks love where they live.

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

and I would sit there with you.
awwww... loved your reasons why

1:53 AM  
Blogger Beccy said...

Wow, I'd like to join you on that porch as well, fantastic reasons for living there. Great photos as well.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

sitting on the porch all day sipping iced tea...that sounds great!! I bet it's sweet tea too, right??

8:20 AM  
Blogger The very nice man said...

C'mon . . send me an invitation. I wanna come and explore your beautiful place!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Tiggerlane said...

I'm sooo glad you and I had totally different posts on our home!

Of course, yours was much more poetic and romantic. Mine sounds like a real estate broker wrote it.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Amy W said...

Absolutely love the south. Great photos.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is something special about being on the land that has history for your family. I doing a post about that this next week.

Great pictures. Just Beautiful!!!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Great post, great place.

1:24 PM  
Blogger ChrisB said...

100 years of family history that's amazing to live exactly where your ancestors lived and feel a real connection. Photos are lovely such a beautiful place.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Betty said...

Thanks for the guided tour. I would love to have roots as deep as yours.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great reasons to love Arkansas.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Leann said...

lovely pictures thanks for sharing.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Thanks for the visit; I had a good time. You have made Arkansas very appealing.

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heart Arkansas! My Grandma had a little cabin halfway between Ft. Smith and Fayetteville and we used to have the greatest time as kids playing in the Ozarks. What a beautiful tribute!

9:22 PM  
Blogger Susan in va said...

BEAUTIFUL, Songbird! I enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed looking at the pictures. It reminds me so much of where I live.

Thank you for sharing :)

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, terrific story.

But I'm confused, how come I didn't see this on Monday? Did I just miss seeing you on the list or is it a late inclusion? I wouldn't have seen it for a while either if Tiff didn't link to you.

3:54 PM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

That was lovely.

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Arkansas! It is hard to convince some Oklahomans that the rain smells better in Arkansas, but it does. Rain smells good no matter where you are, but it smells really good there.

Love your post! They all look inviting, even the snow!

Oh yea, on your comment at my place, it was Ruby on the ridge in my photo. She is the one with the white spot on her nose in the photo on my masthead. You are pretty darn sharp!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Woodrow said...

Praise the Lord and pass the sweet potatoes!

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home