Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Obedience Plant



These lovely flowers are physostegia virginiana also called false dragonhead or obedience plant. Quite a few years ago, I saw a picture of them in a seed catalog and decided to order some for my garden. They grow two to four feet in height so I planted them in the middle of a bed. Big mistake! I should have researched obedience plant more thoroughly because these plants spread from underground stems like wildfire. They are the single most aggressive plant I have ever cultivated. I use my big shovel to dig up clumps of obedience plant every spring so they won't choke out the purple coneflowers, iris, sedum and yarrow that I have in the same bed.

They may have an aggressive personality, but I do think they yield beautiful flowers. They bloom in late summer after other flowers have tapered off and before my chrysanthemums burst into bloom. I consistently win blue ribbons in the county fair flower show with my obedience plants. This year I didn't enter anything in the flower show because our spring and summer were so dry. Nothing I had bloomed as big and beautiful as it normally does. However, I was so disappointed in my decision not to show when I visited the fair. There was only one obedience plant entered and it was a sad, little specimen. In fact, even though it was the only flower entered in its category, the bloom was draped with a "thanks for participating" green ribbon. Meanwhile, I had these blooms in my garden.




I think I made a mistake, don't you?!!! Next year I will trust the beauty of my flowers even in adverse growing conditions.

12 Comments:

Blogger Claudia said...

hmmm...i wonder how they got the name obedience plant..not very obedient, are they?

10:16 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

but very beautiful!!

10:16 PM  
Blogger SongBird said...

Oh, I forgot to explain the obedience thing. When you move a flower it will not spring back into position, but will obediently stay put because the stalk has a hinge-like structure.

10:47 PM  
Blogger willowtree said...

Ah, yes... you made a mistake. But then how would you know at the time you made the decision? Thanks for the explaination, I was wondering.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Shauna said...

Songbird, do you also have a horticulture degree? You are so well informed on plants. . .

Yes, you should have entered the flower in the fair. . .They are beautiful flowers!

7:11 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

There's always next year. they are really lovely flowers, they remind me of penstemon.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Karmyn R said...

Gorgeous - but I will know never to put them in - HOWEVER, some plants, considered weeds in the south, are great plants here in the North - but, I'm still not planting Cudzu or anything that sends runners under the ground. Have you tried an underground barrier? -

2:48 PM  
Blogger Elle Charlie said...

Those are pretty flowers. Funny that they are bendable. Love the color. Yes, you should have entered them - beautiful flowers deserve to get fawned over at least once before they die. Next year, though. Thank goodness for next year :)

3:10 PM  
Blogger M J said...

Gorgeous flowers... are they the same sort as Snap Dragons? Can you make those ones "talk"?

3:52 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

The flowers that seems to be the prettiest and most prolific...and the ones I like best are considered to be weeds by other people. This is a beautiful flower.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Emmakirst said...

Very beautiful! Too bad you didn't enter, you would have won. There's always next time.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful picture of these flowers... Thanks for sharing!!

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home